Monday, February 18, 2008

So Scary

So our garage was converted into a family room/playroom by our last owners and that is how we have continued to use it. The garage can get a little cold at times though so we often use a space heater in there when the kids want to play in there. Well, I went in there today and smelled something really funny. We have had a lot of water problems so I was afraid that it might be mold or something but as I got further into the room I knew that couldn't be it. The smell was just way too strong. After a minute of walking around trying to locate the source this is what I found.

I know scary. It was smoking and everything. It was only minutes away from starting our whole house on fire. I'm not really sure why the fuse didn't trip since it seems to trip for everything else. The one time it is an actual emergency and it does nothing. So what you are looking at in the picture is a melted converter (makes it go from a 2 prong outlet to a 3 prong) melted into the outlet and the melted unplugged cord. I'm a bit confused as to why it happened. I have no idea why it got so hot. Don't think we will be using this outlet again anytime soon.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Oh man! That is scary! I'm so glad you caught that in time!

Liora said...

Shelley!! That is way scary!! Thank goodness you found it in time - what a blessing/miracle!

The Mathews Family said...

Glad you found it before it got REALLY scary!

Keriann said...

Scary. I'm glad everyone is okay and your house didn't start on fire.

Kent and Leisy said...

Shelly!! that is ridiculous! wow. can you imagine if there had been a big fire? that is way scary. it's like our smoke alarms. they are so sensitive that they go off when we shower or make toast! but I'm sure they wouldn't make a peep if we had a real fire.

Emilee said...

That's incredibly scary. It happened to one of our outlets in our Bolivian apartment, but I didn't think I'd ever see it here in the U.S. Maybe a Bolivian did your electrical work? :) I'm so glad nothing/nobody was hurt.

Lyndsay said...

Oh MY! I guess that is the drawback to having a charming old house...we've had a few of our own surprises too.

Cynthia said...

Oh, way scary! So glad that you caught it in time!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

UMMM Yeah-totally scary! So glad you went in there when you did!

S&J Jones Family said...

Wow, that IS scary!! I'm glad everything is okay! I worry about our house burning down or something now that we own our own place. Good thing we have insurance but it is still scary just to think about it!

Lynn said...

Wow! So glad you were home and have a good sniffer! Good thing for morning family prayer, huh?
MomBa