Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Carousel


So we have walking group at a local mall (that is actually in the process of closing due to lack of business). At the mall they have this carousel that the kids have always been enthralled with. We had promised the kids that they could ride on our last walk at the mall before it is warm enough to walk outside. Well, today after our walk this older gentlemen came up to our group, we were sitting around and recouping while the kids played, and said he wanted to treat our kids to a ride on the carousel and handed us enough money for all of the kids to ride. He then took off to finish his walk. How amazingly kind of him to do that. I only wish he could have seen the excitement in my girls faces when I told them that someone had given us some money so they could ride the carousel. All of my kids were quite excited...that is until the ride started moving. Here is how Caden reacted.

Ride not moving: Caden is really excited and you could tell he was so happy to be a 'big boy' sitting on the horse like the other kids.
Ride slowly begins: Caden is really excited and has a huge smile and say "whee"
Ride begins to pick up speed: Caden no longer looks excited in fact he looks a little panicked but continues to say "whee" with a look of terror on his face
Ride is halfway through: Caden is no longer having fun and says in a panic "Down! Down!" as he signs down.

The ride was pretty fast so I can't blame the kid (I ended up holding him for about half the ride). I think the girls loved it though. I don't think Caden is going to want to ride it again.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds like the KMart guy in Butte that "adopted" our family. Has Ken ever told you that story?
MomBa

Emilee said...

I don't blame him. That carousel was way too fast. I felt dizzy for 15 minutes after we finished. Yuck. (The girls, of course, loved it.)

Stacy said...

What a fun surprise for the kids! Except for Kaden of course!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

That is so funny! I have a funny vision in my mind of him saying "Whee" with a terrified look on his face. Give him a little more growing time and I'm sure he'll be back in the saddle again!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

That is so funny! I have a funny vision in my mind of him saying "Whee" with a terrified look on his face. Give him a little more growing time and I'm sure he'll be back in the saddle again!