Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Shrinking Baby

Chase went in for a check up on Thursday. The nurse took him and weighed him--4lbs 5oz (he weighed 6lbs 5oz at birth). She wasn't sure she was using the scale right (it is an old fashioned one) so she asked the other nurse to help her. The other nurse tried and casually says, "yeah, looks like 4lbs 5oz." I couldn't believe that they actually thought he was that light, especially considering his birth weight. The first nurse than measures his length and got 17 1/4" (he was 20 1/4 at birth). Any red flags here anyone? Anybody worried? Not the nurse, who casually/offhandedly mentions something about how babies lose after birth. What?!?! OK, I know the weight is wrong but figured the doctor (actually, I saw the nurse practitioner) would catch that, but shrinking in height? Really?!? I can't believe she thought that was ok. Well, turns out that Chase is actually weighing in at 6lbs 6oz and about the same length as at birth.

I can't believe Chase has already been home for a week and we haven't even reached his actual due date yet. He has been a pretty good baby so far, but I suppose most babies are for the first week or two. He is definitely starting to find his lungs. Tonight he was very fussy for some reason. This made dinner, baths, and bedtime a little crazy (Ken was at work all day today).

Caden seems to be adjusting ok to Chase now/so far. Poor guy got 4 shots the day before I had Chase, got his sleeping schedule all messed up while I was in the hospital and the first few days home, caught a cold, and is now cutting a molar. He has started to really fight naps and bedtimes. I think he his afraid he will miss out on something. This morning he appeared in my room at 6:15am (of course I had just gotten Chase to settle down after he had been awake on and off for the last hour and a half).

Jordan has not done so well with the new baby. She doesn't do well with change. She has been extremely emotional lately and gets frustrated very easily. She has become a bit pickier about how things are done (like now when she eats for some reason she has to be pushed up to the table so tight that I don't know how she breaths, and the plate has to be equidistant from her elbows on the table, but, sadly, she can't move the plate or her elbows, it has to be her chair that moves).

Kailyn seems to be doing great with Chase. She does get a bit flustered when he is crying and won't take his pacifier. She was very excited to take pictures to school on Friday to show off pictures of her new little brother.

I am doing fine. The transition so far has not been so bad. This next week will really test me, though, as Ken will work most of the week. I was very lucky to get help the first few days home from the hospital. Thank you so much to Kim and Renae who took my kids those first few days so I could catch up on sleep!! I have also been so blessed to have people from church bringing in meals. It has helped so much! Nursing is not so fun right now. I am just so thankful that I haven't gotten an infection, yet. Surprised, but thankful.

Jordan snuggling with a sleeping Ken and Chase.

Caden was laying next to Chase rubbing his back, so cute. Of course when he saw the camera he had to get up and pose.

6 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

that post makes me sooooo nervous!!!! and I only have zeb to worry about. I'm being induced wed- unless it comes sooner! I laughed out loud reading about Jordan and her table demands. sorry about nursing- I am not excited for it. I hope things get better!

BensonFam said...

You are awesome Shelly!! I hope things keep going well and keep getting better. (Hugs to Jordan - what a sweetheart.) I love reading about all of you guys - we sure miss you!!

The Ziemers said...

Great pictures! It will take a few months for things to settle down, but then it will be wonderful! I love all these new babies, and Ryan is just really adorable. He has the cutest face. Can I watch your kids during your next doctor appointment?

Cynthia said...

That would have freaked me out at the doctor's appointment. Good thing they figured it out and he really had gained weight. I think you would have noticed, though, if Ryan had lost 2 pounds or 1/3 his birthweight!

Emilee said...

Crazy about the doctor appointment. And I'm so sorry, Shelly, about all the adjustments and issues. You are amazing to handle everything so well.

S&J Jones Family said...

Wow, How did they come to realizing that he hadn't lost 2 lbs and 3 inches...and that he really gained an ounce?