Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Maybe I am ready to be done

OK, so after today, I'm thinking early delivery might not be that bad--for no other reason than I am tired of doctor's visits.

An update. During the time of my hospital visit I had lost quite a bit of weight due to nausea and loss of appetite. I then began to measure a little small, so they decided to due an ultrasound. They found out the baby was measuring a little small, especially his abdomen (which I am beginning to wonder about since this measurement was taken by a new ultrasound tech who has made other mistakes). So for the last month I have had appointments 2 times a week to do non-stress tests and ultrasounds. These visits are insanely long (especially when the kids are with me) because the new ultrasound tech and doctor get behind, and the non-stress tests and ultrasound just take forever.

Today's visit was actually not bad at 2 1/2 hours. During the ultrasound, the baby was not very active (it had been a long time since I had eaten). Luckily, after the ultrasound and just before the non-stress test, I ate some crackers that I found in my purse. When they hooked me up, the kid was going crazy. He was very active for 5-10 minutes and then calmed down. They tried to get him to move, but he would just kick once and then do nothing else. I was supposed to see the midwife today (whom I had not met), but she popped her head in saying she was trying to get ahold of the doctor on call. After a long wait she finally came in and said that my doctor was in for a surgery and that I could either wait and figure things out, or go home and they would call me.
"Wait, figure what out?"
"Oh, nobody's told you?"
"Umm, no."
"Oh, uhh, we didn't like the results of your ultrasound and non-stress test. The doctor will probably want you to either do a long test at the hospital or come back tomorrow to redo everything. "
"Are you kidding?! OK, I guess I will go home and wait to hear" (I needed to pick up my kids, and from experience knew it might be a looooong time before the doctor made it in).

I went home and fed the kids. Ken got home from an overnight shift and early morning lectures. Then the call came. The doctor wanted me to go straight to the hospital. Sorry Ken, I know you've had only 3 hours of sleep in the last 32 hours, but gotta go.

I went to the hospital and the monitoring started. They did another ultrasound and everything looked fantastic (except they never saw any big movement from his arms). More monitoring. Finally, the resident came in and said that everything looked good and they just needed to talk to the doctor, but I would certainly be going home. "Thank goodness," I thought to myself, "this bed is so uncomfortable." And then the worst thing ever happened. The resident looked at the monitor and saw a huge mountain on the monitor tracings (I had just had a monumental contraction) and asked, "Wait, are you having contractions?"
"Yeah, but only an hour and a half of only 15 minutes apart and they are now only 1 every hour."
"That last one looks like a big one, did it hurt?"
"Yeah, it hurt."
The resident left the room for a couple minutes before coming back. "Change of plans," she said. "You are staying overnight for observation."
"What?!?! Are you kidding? You can't be serious. Really this is normal. I am 38 weeks along. This is my 4th and trust me I am not in labor. Please, don't make me stay I will come back if it turns into real labor. "
So I didn't say all this to the resident other than the "What?!?!" and "Are you serious?" Well, she left and ended up talking to my doctor and came back about 45 minutes later.
"Good news, you get to go. . ."
"Thank goodness!" I thought to myself.
". . . It is your 4th, and I am sure you will know when to come in. "
Hooray! So, after only 5 1/2 hours at the hospital I got to go home. All told - 8+ hours waiting for doctors--it's like a trip to the ER or something (sorry, Ken)!

So back to the title of this post. Maybe I'm ready to be done. These twice-a-week visits plus the unexpected trips to the hospital are getting REALLY old. I had really wanted to go to my due date (why rush the sleepless nights), but now I am beginning to think I want this baby out so I don't have to spend my life at the doctor's.

PS Can you believe only 2 weeks left? It seems really close . . . until I think of all of the doctor's visits I have between now and then.

14 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

shelly- that is all RIDICULOUS! I am so sorry that you've had to sit through all of that. I go CRAZY waiting for appts and whatnot. I didn't know you've been going in twice a week the past little while! Did you tell them you are still doing tae-bo? see what they have to say about that :)

Renae said...

I'm so sorry! That sounds awful. When is your next appt.? I didn't realize you were still doing the long visits. Call me.

Nunes Family said...

Goodness! I think I would want to be done two! I had Carter 2 weeks early and loved it! Hope all goes well and you have him soon.

Unknown said...

Oh Shelly - what a bummer! I'm sorry you've been having to go through all of this! Good luck with everything - hopefully the newest Bassett will make his appearance sooner rather than later for your sake. Keep us posted!!
Emily

brittani c. said...

Holy crap! I can't believe how patient you are. Some of these tests that the medical people do raises my eyebrows...is it all that necessary? I hope today is a better day. I wish I were in your shoes, because I am more than ready to get this pregnancy over with. ;)

dockters said...

Shelly, your day at the doctor/hospital sounds awful! I'm sorry!! I can't even believe that you thought to bring that book to me yesterday morning- you are amazing!! Please let me take your kids for your next appointment(s)! Sam would love some buddies to play with!!

The Ziemers said...

Please bring the kids over again. I would love to keep them for as long as you need. Especially if Ken is dead tired. Good luck!

Susan said...

That's seriously crazy! I mean, it's good to be thoroughly monitored if they have worries about stuff, but they do seem rather disorganized and not very efficient. It sounds like it would be nice to have that baby sooner rather than later!

The Bassetts said...

What a bummer!!! Normally I would agree with you about why rush into sleepless nights but if I had to go to the doctor that often I would opt to have the baby come as early as was healthily possible. Good luck with everything.
Carissa

Lisa said...

Sounds like fun!! I hope that baby comes soon for yours sakes too. Gotta love it! I can't believe it is almost here for you. Can't wait to see pictures of that little boy! Hang in there.

Joe and Dawn said...

Oh my goodness!!! I would be so ready to be done too! 2 weeks I know feels like FOREVER, but in the grand scheme of things it will come quickley:) Good luck with everything and we will be thinking of you all!

Judy said...

Hey, I say get if over with! Go for it, Shelly! We're rooting for you!

S&J Jones Family said...

I would be READY, too! That sounds like stress, not "non-stress" to me!

Emilee said...

So crazy! Man--what a nightmare!