Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's a Boy!

In short: Our as-yet nameless newest little guy was born 1/23/09 at 23:42. He was 6 lbs 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches in length, and, of course, cute. He has a full head of hair, just like his siblings. Also, just like his older siblings, he had the cord wrapped around his neck (twice). He looks great! Here are some pictures.


These 2 pictures are just before the baby was born.


Umm, what are we waiting for?

Right after delivery

6 lbs, 5 oz





The rest is mostly for scrap-booking purposes, but you can still read if you want.

So, I went to the doctor's office on 1/23 for my regular twice-weekly ultrasound, non stress test and doctor's visit. No great improvements on baby movement or size, so my doctor sent me in to be induced, stating that this time it was not an elective induction. She basically said that with 2 abnormal ultrasounds, it would just be better to have the baby out so we could all see for sure what he was doing. So, after arranging places for my kids to stay and someone to pick up Kailyn (huge thanks to Stewarts and Marks!), I went in to a very busy OB floor and waited and waited for the Pitocin to start. They started slow and titrated up. I was not having any contractions on my own, so it took awhile for a good effect. I got a half-working epidural (my left side just wouldn't get numb--scar tissue maybe?), and held off on having them break my water until the anesthesiologist came and pushed a little more pain medicine into my epidural. By that time, it was just after 11:00 p.m., and Ken said, "I still think this baby will be born on 1/23," to which the anesthesiologist, the nurse, and I all said, "nah, he's not coming out until 1/24." About 10 minutes later with everyone still in the room, I suddenly felt a lot of pressure. Sure enough, he had dropped and I was complete. For the next 20 minutes, I did everything but cough/sneeze/push and waited until my doctor made it into the room. After only 3 pushes, the little guy made his appearance.

Classic moments

"5 minutes ?!?!" This is what I yelled after I had been complete and did everything I could to NOT deliver the baby for 15 minutes waiting for my doctor, only to have her finally call and say she was about 5 minutes out still.

15 comments:

S&J Jones Family said...

Congratulations!! Can't wait to hear what you name him!

Cynthia said...

Congrats- what a cute little guy with lots of hair! Good luck on picking out a name.

Angie said...

Wonderful!

Judy said...

Your little guy is so cute, but Shelly, YOU look AMAZING. I also can't believe you could get this post done within hours of his birth. You'd be one of those pioneer women back out on the trail the next morning after childbirth.

Anne said...

Congratulations! He is so cute!

Susan said...

Woohoo!! What a cute little one. Becca was 6lbs 5oz also - love 'em when they are super small and sweet! :) Congratulations!

Unknown said...

He's sooooo cute!! (And I can't believe your nine months belly - that's what I look like at six or seven months.) Congratulations - I'm glad things went well and that he's here. I can't wait to hear the name!
Love Emily

The Ziemers said...

So cute! I can't believe you had him. You were just here a few days ago. If you need any extra help let me know. I was too slow to get a spot to help with dinners and playdates.

The Kalcichs said...

Congratulations, Bassets! I am so glad he made it here safely. I hope you get lots of help from your girls and that Ken gets some time off. He looks great!

Greg Becky said...

Congratulations!

Nunes Family said...

Oh he is so cute! Congrats!

Jill Lau said...

Congratulations! What a cute little guy. I love his hair and I especially love the picture of him screaming right by your face. So cute! Shelly you look awesome. You always look so calm and handle things so well. I'm glad he's here and is healthy. I can't wait to see him. Let me know if there is anything I can do...really!!

dockters said...

What a cute baby!! Congratulations! I'm so glad that everything went well! You are an amazing woman Shelly...so calm and collected...all of the time!! I'm so happy for you guys!

the landreths said...

Wow, what a pregnancy for you! I can't imagine having to go through all those tests and drs visits with 3 other little ones and a husband who is never home. I can imagine the husband who is never home part :). But I'm SO happy for you guys. He is adorable and he already looks like a bassett. I'm glad he made it safe and sound. Can't wait to hear the name!

Emilee said...

Congratulations! He's darling!