Monday, June 29, 2009

Fall


Friday night, I was painting in the upstairs bathroom.  The kids had been put to bed quite a bit earlier but I could still hear them talking.  Then there was some commotion.  I thought I heard something about Caden falling and there was obvious distress.  I was trying to picture in my mind how Caden had fallen (I assumed off his bed) in such a way to cause so much excitement.  I didn't hear any crying so thought it must not be too serious but I should probably go and take a look.  I start putting away my painting stuff when Kailyn comes in hysterical.
 
Kailyn-"Caden fell!  Caden fell out the window."
Me-"He fell out the window!!"
Kailyn-"Yeah he was kicking the screen, and I told him not too, and then he fell."

My stomach dropped and all my head could process was 'Caden fell out of the window.  Caden fell out of the second story window.' Luckily, I could hear Caden faintly crying through the open bathroom window, good he was conscious.  I ran outside to find him laying in the bush.  He scratched up his face and head from the bush he landed in but really not bad.  He was obviously shaking.  His hands were literally shaking.  I asked him if he hurt anywhere other than the scratches on his face and he said no.  Then he tried to push himself to a stand and was in obvious pain.  After checking it out, I thought his arm was broken.  I put the girls to bed and tried to decide what to do.  

Luckily, Ken was at the end of his shift so I decided to call him.  I told Ken that Caden had fallen out of his bedroom window. 
 His response, "Caden fell?" (with a tone of why are you calling me)....
"Caden fell out of his BEDROOM WINDOW!!!" (OK now it registered what happened).  
Ken ended up coming home and getting Caden and taking him into the ER.

From what I hear Caden was a star patient.  Smiling the whole time, laughing, and generally in a great mood.  It turns out he broke a bone in his forearm, not a serious break though.

I feel so lucky that it wasn't worse.  Yes, I feel like a horrible mom.  So how did this all happen?  I had recently rearranged the kids bedroom in an attempt for a better layout and to allow cool air from the window to blow on everyone.   I am guessing Caden had climbed up on the window sill.  The window is very big and closer to the floor and it has a ledge on it that is big enough for a little kid to stand on.  After this I immediately rearranged the furniture so that Kailyn's daybed is blocking the window.  

When I was putting the girls to bed that night Kailyn said, "Mom, that was the scariest thing I have ever seen."  I can only imagine. 


Caden in his new cast.  Holding the hippo he got from the hospital.


Here is a picture of the second story window Caden fell out of.

17 comments:

Adam Jensen said...

Oh man! I am so glad all he got was a broken bone. How scary! You are NOT a terrible mom. It could happen to anyone. See you in a few weeks!

Susan said...

Excuse my inappropriateness, but holy crap!! That was quite the fall he took!! Definitely a lucky boy to only get some scratches and a minor break - and way to go Caden for being so jovial through it all. You are definitely not a bad mom for this happening - It's honestly a miracle that our kids survive what they do, 'cause you just can't watch them every second of every day.

Lisa said...

wow!! That would be scary. That same thing happened to our neighbor girl at our last apartment and thankfully she was okay as well. I guess those kids are pretty resilient!! But...casts are never fun. Hopefully he won't have to have it on too long!

Rachael Hutchings said...

Oh my goodness how scary! That's the third story I've heard this month of a kid falling out of a second story window. What really scares me is that Savannah is fully capable of having this happen to her. She is fearless in those sorts of situations to the extent of having ZERO common sense (I guess part of that comes from being 2 1/2). I live in fear of something like this happening. Thank goodness he's okay!

dockters said...

AHHH! That is higher than I thought! I'm glad he's okay. He really looks cute sporting his new cast all around. And you are NOT a bad mom. YOu really are one of the best I know!!!

Sam is ALWAYS standing up on his window sill when we put him to put...I need him to come read this post! :)

Wade, Jenny, and Girls said...

holy shnikeys! I am so glad he's alright. I hate stuff like that.

Angie said...

Aren't you glad you had that bush to catch him?! I think it must have made all the difference.

Stacy said...

Oh my gosh!! I think I would have gone to the hospital with him to ask for a valium for myself!! I am so glad that he was okay and it was nothing too serious. Thanks to the bushes to kinda cushion the landing!

Jodi said...

Wow! This is my new biggest fear now that we live in a second story apartment. Thank goodness our windows are hard to open! I'm so glad he was ok, what a story!

Doris said...

You don't have to fall that far! Wyatt Carlsen (Robyn's little boy) fell off the bed and broke his arm when he was 2. For a while after getting his cast off, he would fold his arms with a space about the width of a cast between his arms and his chest. Good that little kids are so...bouncy.

Judy said...

Of course, there was Uncle Dave who fell off the tricky bars in 5th grade and broke his elbow in three places. Graceful, I know. You're just lucky Caden appears to be made of rubber. Think of what a GREAT story this is going to make. It ALREADY makes a great story!

The Bassetts said...

Oh, so scary!!! We are so glad you didn't have any really serious injuries. Thank goodness for poofy bushes under the window, eh? We are looking forward to seeing you guys soon.
Carissa

Renae said...

Oh my gosh! I saw Caden in a cast on Sunday and forgot to ask you what happened. So scary! THank goodness it wasn't worse, and there's a bush down there. :) You are a great mom, accidents happen. And Caden got to have a fun experience at the ER with his dad!

the landreths said...

Oh my gosh!! How scary! Poor little guy. He does look pretty cute in his cast.
You are seriously one of the best moms i've ever known.

Kimberly said...

Whoa!!I am SOOOO glad Caden is alright!!(and that it wasn't much worse) I am glad that bush was there to help catch the fall a bit too...

Don't be too hard on yourself up about it...accidents happen and he is okay. He sounded like he was a real trooper about what happened to him. It's cute to see him smile with his cast =) How long does he have to wear it? Bless his little heart.

brittani c. said...

Shelly, I had no idea! I am glad that a broken bone was the worst that had happened and nothing more.

Emilee said...

Holy smokes! Poor little boy. And I'm glad you survived without a heart attack as well.