Saturday, April 12, 2008

Unexpected Ending

So today was just one of those days. The morning actually started out OK, nothing really good but nothing really bad. But then the whirlwind began at 2 o'clock and it was all down hill from there. I'm sure you have all had one of those days it involved crying, time outs, etc...and the kids were even worse. It was a "terrible, horrible no good, very bad day", one I hope to never have again (but one I'm sure will)... that is until Ken unexpectedly showed up. Ken often gets home after the kids are already in bed, but tonight he got home just in time to read a bedtime story with the kids. The kids loved it (I'm sure they were happy that crazy mommy wasn't reading tonight). Even Caden got into it. They were all laughing and pointing at the pictures, which of course made me laugh and smile. It's amazing how quickly it changed my mood. These are the moments I love.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it so nice how Daddy can just lift the world of your shoulders just by showing up? I know when Justin gets home after one of those long days Hailey suddenly is the happy, obedient child I know and love! the girl's room looks really cute, is that border painted on?

David Kenison said...

I think God has many extra blessings for sweet mothers who put up with long, hard, challenging days, so that Daddy can come home and enjoy a few minutes of joy and sunshine! Keep you chin up, Shelly! It gets better and better.
Love, Uncle David

BensonFam said...

AMEN! And three cheers for daddy to the rescue (I know Cameron has come to mine many, many times over.) This is one of the reasons I miss Arizona so much - there's no escaping to the lawn and a whole bunch of mommy friends when the going gets a little crazy. And also one of the reasons I love blogging - just another way to find a little love and support when you need it most.

The Bassetts said...

I had one of those days a couple of weeks ago...it left me wondering why I ever thought I wanted more than one child!!! Just so you know, I admire you and Ken's parenting style - you are doing a great job.
Carissa

Kent and Leisy said...

I am so glad that the days exist for everybody! I'll switch your three for my one!! he's making me bonkers lately :)

Adam Jensen said...

Don't you love it when they come home when you least expect it? What a cute picture. I can't wait till intern year is over... but sometimes I am skeptical at how good it can actually be.. :)

S&J Jones Family said...

Good timing Ken! I dread those days!

You guys ARE crazy! The lawnmower story was hilarious. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one :) Ibet the kids thought it was fun!

dockters said...

I have often wondered..."How do single parents every do it?!?!" I'm glad Ken made it home to give you the break and laugh you needed!! What a blessing!

The Mathews Family said...

Thank goodness for moments like that that save us from the grips of total insanity!