Thursday, October 22, 2009

Jordan's preschool

This is the second time I have taught Jordan's preschool. We meet on Tuesday and Thursday. This week was a bit easier cause we were short one kid, who was out of town. I thought I would talk a little bit about what we did today.

Jordan's class. This picture was actually taken Tuesday when Kailyn had no school because of teacher training.

We learned about the letter G, the number 7 and stars. I also added gardens cause I just couldn't do enough with stars.


We talked about things that grow. It is hard to see but the flowers have letters on them and it spells Jordan's name. I had the top of the flowers all mixed up and the kids had to put them in order (spell out their name), trace over the letters in their name then glue the top of the flowers to sticks and then glue sticks to paper.


The white paper was originally all together. The kids had to cut them apart (practicing cutting on a line) and then glue them to the paper in the order of how they happen.


I gave them a white paper with a star drawn on it and they had to take 5 triangles and 1 circle and make a star with them. Then they traced the letters to the word star and then write 'star' on their own.


This started as a blank tree. Then we would say, "Green tree, green tree. What do you see? I see a yellow star looking at me. Yellow star, yellow star. What do you see? I see a red star looking at me. etc" Each kid was holding a star and when his color was said he came and put his star on the tree and then picked the next color he saw. We of course talked about the color of all of the stars and how many there were.

We also reviewed the letters and numbers they have learned.
-We reviewed the letter by playing memory. They had to match the uppercase and lowercase letters.
-I gave the kids seven pieces of paper with the numbers 1-7 written on them. Then I had brown bags filled with different number of foam halloween stickers (ie 5 pumpkins, 3 ghosts). One by one the kids came up and picked a bag and counted what was inside. Then they all had to find the number in their cards and hold it up. We also talked about what letter each item started with and what color they were.

We also did other little things like sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and all of the kids brought an object that started with the letter G. We read stories that went with growing, and the letter g. Both Tuesday and Thursday were very busy we were going from the time they walked in the door to the time they left. I have actually enjoyed doing this more than I thought I would, although I am glad I don't have to teach every week.

5 comments:

Denise P said...

How awesome! What are you doing as parents to co-ordinate curriculum?

Angie said...

This is amazing! How fun for these children, and nice that you parents rotate duties.

Jorden and Jessica said...

You have such clever ideas for lessons and teaching. Where are you coming up with these? Such a good idea to do this!

The Bassetts said...

Shelly, that looks like a cool preschool (both Jordan's and Caden's). Where are you getting your ideas and worksheets from? I'd like to start working with Alan on stuff like that.
Carissa

Lynn said...

WOW! How long is preschool? You did a lot! Good job.
MomBa