Monday, March 2, 2009

Well Child Check

Thursday Chase had his 1 month check-up. He is doing great. Here are his stats
weight: 8 lbs 10 oz
length: 22 inches
head 13 inches

Chase continues to be a fussy baby. I think it is due to his gassiness. I also think he might have some relfex. He spits up a lot. He spits up at least 2 tablespoons worth of milk after eating, which is a lot when he is only drinking about 4 oz to begin with. He continues to make life at night rough. He likes to wake up a lot and after he eats he just can't settle down and go back to sleep. He also thinks that 5 o'clock is a great time to wake for the day which often wakes up Caden who comes into my room and says, "Mom, I want to eat. I want some oatmeal." Too bad he doesn't understand its the middle of the night and not morning (even though Chase and Mom are awake).

Some days I just don't know how I function. As I calculate the number of hours of sleep I get I am often surprised that I am not more tired. I think I am truly blessed to be able to survive. Ken unfortunately is not fairing so well. Having to work 90 hours a week with two 30 hour shifts in a week and then being woken up by a crying baby all night is doing him in. He moved into the spare bedroom to get some sleep so he can function. Hopefully Chase will turn a corner here soon.

Chase loves to be swaddled, held and have a pacifer. Not so practical when you have three other kids to care for. Renae Marks let me borrow this baby sling. It has been a life saver! I now have my hands free to help the other three kids and Chase seems to like it.

Wish I was getting more of this.

9 comments:

Stacy said...

I am so sorry!! I really hope that things get better for you and him. Can they give him some medicine for the reflux? and you a sleeping pill?! :)

the landreths said...

Isn't that a lot like what Jordan was like as a baby? Maybe i am remembering that wrong.

I don't know how you are functioning shelly! Good luck. If it is ever worth the drive i'd be happy to take your kids for a couple days! I can't be that far of a drive from you...10 hours?

Adam Jensen said...

oh! So sorry Shelly :( I Hope things get better, sleep Ryan, Sleep!

Cynthia said...

Do you want to let Caden and Jordan come to my house on Thursday after story time? They can come for lunch and play!

The Ziemers said...

That is too bad. I hope he comes out of it soon. Some babies take a while to get their schedules sorted out. Is there something I can do to help???

Foss Family said...

I think it must be the hair. It looks like it's got a red tint to it to me. I think brown-headed babies sleep better. Maybe you could look into getting some Just for Men. ;) No seriously, I am awed that you're still keeping up on your blog even though you're not sleeping. Shelly, you truly are a WonderMom. Keep it up, girl. You're amazing!!

Kenna said...

My fourth baby was a bit of a pickle, too. Maybe that has something to do with it. Sorry he is fussy! Hope it gets better soon.

Shelly and Ken said...

Yes, this does remind us a lot of how Jordan was. The difference was that Jordan figured out a sleeping pattern earlier (though she did continue to wake up for feedings every 2 hours at night, at least she went immediately back to sleep), and, yes, we also have noticed a bit of a red tint to Ryan's hair.

Jill Lau said...

Oh Shelly I feel for you. I hope he gets better soon. Matthew got better when he was around 4 months. Taylor got over it before two months. Before we know it we'll all be sleeping a full 7-8 hours straight. Let's not get ahead of ourselves huh. I just hope you can get more than two hours of sleep at a time. Taylor likes getting up at 5 something too. I should give you a call. haha Good thing Ryan is so cute huh!! sorry such a long comment