Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fun while Dad's at Work (and the not-so-fun move into our new house)

Ken helped us move out but then had to go back to his old job to work. Since we were in a one-room hotel, we got out every chance we got.

At the Farm.
Caden had stagger start, so he went to school the first day but didn't go the next, so we went to a little farm.
Chase checking out the pigs.

Trying out the tractor.

This picture so captures my kids. Ava so jealous and yelling at the top of her lungs, Chase so wrapped up in exploring what he is doing, and Caden picking at a scab on the side of his nose.
Saturday we went and played at this great park for hours. The kids loved the woolly mammoth.
I should correct myself.  The big kids loved it, Ava just watched from below and then found something better to do.

Chase, Caden, Kailyn, and Jordan


Our move into our house was the worst. Ken was still working out of state.  Saturday night Ava woke up (we were still in the hotel) and threw up. She then continued to throw up all night (it was just dry heaving by the end). It was a really long night. She seemed OK the next day (I was exhausted). Then Sunday night I woke up sick as a dog. Oh, I was so miserable. I will spare you the details but I spent most of the night in the bathroom (throwing up AND diarrhea). We had to be out of our room by 10 the next morning and meet our new landlord at our new house to get keys and do a walk-through. We had quite a load of stuff at the hotel because we had lived there for 2 weeks and cooked there. I was so sick I really didn't think I could do it. I tried to get the kids to help as much as I could. Packing took forever. Finally it was time to take loads down to the car. We would take a load and then I would run upstairs and throw up, lay down and rest for 5 minutes and do it all over again. I never want to go through that again.

We finally got out of the hotel and to the house. I was so sick that I couldn't wait for the landlord to leave so I could just collapse on the floor. I realized that we had no TP at the house, so we had to do a grocery store run. I only went because it was an emergency. I mustered all the strength I had and just prayed I would make it without loosing my lunch all over the store. After we were done shopping, we were walking out to the car and Kailyn said she didn't feel good.  I watched as her lunch started to come up and I quickly grabbed a grocery sack, just in time.

We get back to the house.  By this point I was over the worst of it, but Kailyn and Jordan were now both sick. Some nice members from our church who live down the street came to welcome us (they had seen the moving truck of the previous renters and thought it was ours, what a blessing they came). They invited us to dinner, but I said my husband wasn't around and we were all sick. They left but then came back a little later with a dinner for us. Oh, how they saved us. Not only that but when they heard that we were going to be sleeping on the floor, they brought us air mattresses and blankets (they also brought us a folding table and chairs).

OK this was so extremely nice and thoughtful and I was so grateful, but their kindness doesn't stop there. Jordan threw up all over the carpet. I had nothing in the house to clean with. I called them to see if we could borrow some cleaning stuff. I answered the door expecting her to just hand me some rags and carpet cleaner and be on her way. This amazing women came over with gloves and towels and cleaned up the mess as I tucked everyone into bed. After she was done she helped the kids brush their teeth.

Still their kindness does not stop. I had just planned on moving stuff from our storage unit over a little at a time until Ken came back in a few weeks and then we would move the rest (the big stuff) together. This family insisted on helping us. The husband called some people and got a bunch of men to come and help (a couple days later after we were feeling better). We did one load using pickup trucks and vans. We didn't get all of our stuff, but we got our beds and couch and table, which made life so much easier. We are forever thankful to this family for just stepping in to help us. They are amazing. Thank you, Scotts!


In our new house. I swear these kids were laying on their own beds when I tucked them in. Ava is asleep hanging off of her bed and Chase somehow migrated to the floor.

The weather here is gorgeous! The kids eating popsicles on the front steps.

Jordan on the steps in front of our new house.
Saturday, and dad is still not around, so we decided to go and check out the Denver Zoo.
Jordan Ava, Kailyn, Chase and Caden watching the polar bears.

Let's hope Jordan never meets a real Polar Bear face to face (or face to belly button, as the case may be).  This thing is huge!

They had an elephant demonstration. We lucked out getting to see the elephant the most playful it has been for more than a month

The elephant was so fun to watch. He was diving in the water and doing somersaults. He was so close to where we were standing.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Your new house looks awesome! I'm so glad you survived the move - that does sound SO hard being so sick without your husband and moving - oh man. What a sweet family to help out so much - such a blessing. Enjoy Colorado! Do you have any family there? Are you closer to family now, at least? Colorado is beautiful!

chrisjones said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm betting you will never forget this move! I'm glad you guys are settling in.

Judy said...

I have never heard such an awful moving story, nor such an awesome rescue story. Kudos to you for surviving it, and blessings to your new neighbors. They've earned their place in heaven.

The Bassetts said...

Ahhh!!! Shelly that is the WORST moving story ever! I felt so bad for you by the middle of the post. The stomach flu is the awful and having it while trying to move (which is never fun even in good health) is my new worst nightmare. I'm glad your neighbors came to your rescue. I hope you are liking your new house and area! We are looking forward to seeing you next month!

Angie said...

I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks. Those kind neighbors were certainly heaven-sent.