Monday, March 15, 2010

In the home stretch


I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to almost be done. We still need to clean out the garage and paint the outside. I know this sounds like a lot but it should be easier because Ken has Thursday and Friday off (FINALLY a day off) and will actually be able to help me with these projects (or at least we are praying that no chief stuff comes up).


So we will officially list our house this Friday. I am excited and nervous. Let me take you down memory lane, to see where we have been and where we are today.

The "before" pictures were taken the day we bought the house.
The "after" we took tonight. They don't have great lighting because they were taken late at night.


EXTERIOR

Before

The paint is peeling like crazy. It was peeling even in this picture although you can't see it. There is no after yet.



Here is the rotting roof that we had to replace. It was covered with THREE layers of shingles. And no tar paper in spots...no wonder it was leaking.


ENTRY

Before

After
I'll be honest I don't necessarily think this is a huge improvement. This is the one part of the house that was not bad. We did replace the flooring, they had carpet here and it was horrible from their huge dog and it being by the front door.


KITCHEN

Before

After


Before

After



See the oven on the right? It used to be a 70's brown. Thanks to the miracle of appliance paint it is now white.


LIVINGROOM

Before
After

Before

After

Before

After


BEDROOM #1

Before

After


BEDROOM #2

Before

After

I sanded and painted all of the closet doors.

MASTER BEDROOM

Before

After

Before (this was taken once we moved in)

After


UPSTAIRS BATHROOM

Before
Notice there is no sink or toilet.



After
I should have gotten a picture of the other side but I didn't. If you can't tell there is now wainscoating all around the bottom.


DOWNSTAIRS BATHROOM

Before


After
If you remember this bathroom had a leak in the roof and had mold. We had to completely gut it. Also, the paint color looks blue but it is actually a sage green.


I can't believe what a horrible month and half this has been. I never got to bed before midnight, and was up before dawn thanks to Chase who is a very early riser. I was up at night thanks to painting, projects, packing, lesson for Caden's preschool, lesson for Jordan's preschool, sick kids, primary stuff, trying to find housing near Ken's new job etc. I also had the worst insomnia. It made it so much harder. I couldn't sleep because of the stress of all the things I needed to do and then it was hard to be as effective because I wasn't sleeping. A vicous cycle. I am just so happy we are finally in the home stretch. I just hope it sells super fast (I am not holding my breath).

14 comments:

Susan said...

Amazing!! I cannot believe all the work you've done!! Seriously... you deserve a medal... and a really long vacation!

Stacy said...

WOW! You are one AMAZING woman! Will you come and do some work on my house? I will let you go to bed at 10pm and I will feed you?! Good luck on friday with the listing. I hope that you can sell it fast!

Judy said...

I hate to copy everyone else, but AMAZING is also the first word that came to my mind. No wonder you have insomnia! I get insomnia just thinking about everything you have done. Wow. Good luck selling. You certainly have a better house than the one you bought!

suuuz5 said...

I also have to say the same thing...I cannot believe this!! Shelly, you are truly one amazing woman. I am constantly in awe of your ability to somehow manage the balance of being a wonderful mother, loving wife, fantastic friend, and evidently a home contractor too!! You should be so pleased and I sure hope you find some time for yourself! You deserve it!!!

Jill Lau said...

Shelly it really all looks so good. You have done a great job. I hope it sells fast too and that you can just enjoy these last couple of months here. The kitchen looks so nice. that has to be a huge selling point.

dockters said...

All of your hardwork looks amazing! Really, your house looks so good! I hope it sells fast, too!! Good luck!

Adam Jensen said...

Wow! It looks amazing!!! I can't believe what you've been through :( I am glad you had some help (mentioned in your earlier post) I hope it sells quickly. Where are you guys going after this?

brittani c. said...

Wow, Shelly! It's beautiful. Bless your heart, you've worked so hard. I'm sure it will be an easy sell. Good luck!

Miranda said...

oh my word! Can you come and do my house now? The vicious thing about home improvements are that when they're done-you move. You don't usually get to enjoy your hard work. We bought our new house and it's so discouraging thinking I'm back at square one with all the painting, flooring, yard, etc. But, the learning curve is not as bad. Your house looks really great! Good for you.

Lisa said...

Wow, what an improvement! I am very impressed. I hope that your home sells quickly! Best of luck!

the landreths said...

Unbelievable!!! Shelley, that is such a huge project. You have so much going on and all of those projects take real know-how--like the know-how of a professionl. I can't believe you have done all of that yourselves. I'm so excited for you to be in the homestretch too. Where are you guys moving?

Cynthia said...

Wow! First off, it is amazing what a good choice of paint color will do. All your paint colors look really good! And I cannot believe all the crazy bathroom/ roof experiences you have had. That is just insane!
Your house looks beautiful. I hope it sells quickly!!!

Austin and Mindy said...

You guys did an amazing job guys!!! I'm really impressed!!! It looks amazing!

The Bassetts said...

Nice Work! I think it looks great especially the bathrooms. I hope it sells next week so you can stop worrying and enjoy a breather, or at least doing something different than home improvement stuff. Although, if you do go through home improvement withdrawl you could always come over here...jk, you deserve a break!