Sunday, April 5, 2009

And that's why we call her grace

We would like to add to our list yet another reason we are grateful to have Shelly in our family. Without her, I would feel like the several hundred dollars we spend on health insurance each month would be wasted money. With her, I think we're actually saving money by having insurance!

She blames it on Chase--says Chase was smiling and cooing at her and that she was concentrating on him. She tries to say it was because of lack of sleep. She tries to blame it on Toledo--saying Toledo is out to get her. I personally think her old age is catching up to her. I think her famous "female multitasking abilities" are not as good as she thinks. I think her athletic prowess leaves a little to be desired.

Regardless of the reason, the short of it is that Shelly found a way to break her foot in the simple act of walking down the steps in our home. Luckily, she was able to fall backwards after the painful insult to her foot and rolled down the remaining steps. This, luckily, meant that Shelly got her first broken bone of her life and Chase did not. She hobbled around on it all day until I got back from work and took a nap, then took over the care of the kids so she could go get X-rays, and, eventually, an air-cast and walking boot.



PS. We really do love and appreciate our Shelly, and, yes, she read this post before it went public. She adds that she may not have approved of one or two of the thoughts. She is wearing a smile, though.

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

Ah Shelly- I'm so sorry!
It sounds like you were being a great mother trying to protect your baby. Good job protecting the baby, not so good protecting yourself.

David Kenison said...

Shelly, you nut! Hope you can take it easy for a while now, at least a little, to let things heal. And that husband of yours - we all got a good chuckle out of his creative writing.

Judy said...

Love the post, hate the fact that you have to suffer through with this foot! I hope you get LOTS of TLC from the hubby, the kids, the ward, the neighbors . . .

Kent and Leisy said...

oh no!! what about exercise group?! maybe you could just come and watch and then chat!

Lindsay said...

Oh, Shelly! Ouch. I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. I was thinking the same thing as Leisy. You probably won't be able to exercise for awhile.

Adam Jensen said...

Oh NO!!!! I am so sorry Shelley! I hope you heal quickly!

Emilee said...

Holy smokes. Shelly, you poor thing. Seriously, I've had that nightmare several times, where I fall down the stairs holding the baby. That must have been incredibly scary. You are awfully tough to save the baby and hobble around for the rest of the day on a broken foot.

Angie said...

OUCH! Shelly get better soon!

Jill Lau said...

Oh Shelly! I am so sorry! That is just horrible. I hope it gets better fast.

S&J Jones Family said...

Ouch! Nice job not dropping Ryan though :| I hope it doesn't make things too inconvenient for you.

brittani c. said...

I hope you are feeling better now!! I've never broken a bone either (knock on wood). What a miracle that Ryan wasn't hurt.