Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Weekend Without Mommy

Yeah, so Shelly skipped out of town for a wedding and left a poor unsuspecting Ken with the burdens of three little but very needy children. So, here's Ken's post showing a little of what we did while Mommy was gone. I apologize, there are a lot of pics.

Friday, Caden, Jordan, and I took Kailyn to school then hurried off to the library. After the library, we went to Kailyn's school to cheer her on in her "walk-a-thon" fundraiser. Kailyn is very down-to-business on these types of things. You tell her to do something, and she will get it done and she's all business about it. She gets that from me. It was fun watching her walk the laps. She said she was walking fast but her hips started hurting her. She did 31 laps in all. We came home and played games, took naps, put together puzzles, read books, etc. For the evening, I did what any responsible Father would do--I ditched the 3 kids at a friend's house and went out to eat in honor of date night. Actually, it was a get-together for my residency program, and it was nice not to have to drag 3 kids with me. The kids had a blast and came home with scary spiders on their heads.




Don't they look thrilled? Past bedtime, what can I say. Caden was enjoying it!

Saturday. We laid low for the first half of the day. Attached is a great picture of what we did (that Shelly never would have allowed). The kids cleaned the living room and spent much of the morning watching movies. To my credit, only one of them was purely entertainment. The rest were at least trying to teach something. I spent the time working on computers (Jordan dropped our computer and then the piano bench onto the computer accidently shattering our computer screen), bills, etc. After the nice relaxing morning, we went to the local YMCA and enjoyed free face painting, bag decorating, cookie decorating, and frisbee toss (for prizes). Then we went to the church for the ward trunk-or-treating and chili cookoff--yummmm! The kids looked great in their costumes (Kailyn was an angel, Jordan a butterfly/fairy [she couldn't decide], Caden was batman [wearing my costume that I used to wear everywhere as a kid]).









Sunday was also pretty relaxing except for the hour before and the hour after church. We made it to our seats just as Bishop started the meeting--I consider that on time. Though I didn't get any compliments on my girls' hair, I was pretty durn proud how it turned out. I guess that's my answer (the no compliments part) about what others thought of their hair-do's. On the other hand, no one came up asking what happened to them, so I guess I could consider that a compliment in its own way. When I got home, we enjoyed the delicious chicken and dumplings that were in the Crock Pot that I had started earlier in the morning. All in all, I'd say it was a good weekend--we survived and at the end of it all the kids still said they love me (of course, I was their ticket to their trunk-or-treat candy--and believe me, I used that more than once!!)



12 comments:

Angie said...

What a great daddy you are!

Stacy said...

WOW!! I am very impressed. Not only did you do lots of activities with them, but you took pictures too!! AND you blogged!! What a great daddY!

Kirsten.Kyle said...

Great work Ken!

Kent and Leisy said...

actually, ken, just this morning at library storytime we all discussed how nice your kids looked at church! we were all impressed by the ponytails.
-leisy

Cynthia said...

Yes, I was one of those who commented on your girl's hair at storytime. I am a little worried about what my children's hair will look like when I am in the hospital after I have the baby. Would you please teach Steve how to put in hair things?!?

Emilee said...

Good work! Impressive, Ken! The ponytails look great. I love the costumes too.

chrisjones said...

Thanks for the update! I especially laughed at the three kids zoned out in front of the tv.

Judy said...

A whole month without a post! We've missed you! Welcome back, Bassetts.

dockters said...

Holy cow!! Hair done, dinner in the crock pot, pictures taken, AND on time for church?? That's way more than i ever do! Way to go!

Lynn said...

What a great Dad you are! Looks like you all had fun. Thanks for sharing!
Dad & MomBa

Brenda said...

Great post ken! i always knew you were a great guy! Congrats on the hair, it looks lovely. I love reading your posts and am glad you have some more to share
Love B

Lisa said...

wow Ken, I am very impressed with all the fun things you did with your kids! I bet they loved having one on one time with you! By the way, the girls hair looks very cute! Good job! Hope Shelly had fun at the wedding.